Monday, August 2, 2010

Daytona Dreams



Kevin Harvick, after winning the Coke Zero 400 last month, set the tone for what was to come when he said in victory lane; "I don't care so much about the trophy; I want some of the pavement from the start/finish line..." Harvick went on to say from Victory Lane, "This race track obviously is the most historic racetrack that we race on, and I think if that asphalt could talk, you can go back and look at all the stories. Any time you can win, though, whether it's new asphalt or old asphalt, it's always going to be the baddest place to win, and that's Daytona."

Immediately after the end of the 2010 Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway workers started swarming over NASCAR's most famous racetrack. For the first time in Daytona’s fifty plus years, the old racing surface is being completely removed and replaced (In 1978 a fresh layer of asphalt was laid down on top of the existing track). This is a pictorial of the process one month in.

First, the perimeter light poles, safety fencing and safer barriers had to come down.




Then the fun began as the old asphalt was ripped up and hauled away to what I suppose is someplace like a Fort Knox. I say that based on the fact that the old, historic track surface is going to be marketed to the general public. This work is taking the surface out, completely down to the original lime/rock base.


If you’re interested in picking up a piece of NASCAR’s history, go to this site and check into it: http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/

I’m not sure what they plan on asking for a piece of asphalt but with Jostens (yes the yearbook and class ring people) it probably will be pricey…


Wouldn’t ya know it! Gene Haddock’s close friend, DW, along with his little brother were there to lend a hand and help out on the removal job. (Good Ol' DW...)





HEY! Put that back Mikey!

(You do have to hand it to those Waltrip brothers. They always seem ready to show up and help promote the sport that made them famous.)

With the old track surface removed, the soil base will be carefully laid back out and re-compacted then a four-layer repaving process will be carried out. This is a cross section of what the new track surface will be:


Here’s a peek at the repaving equipment at work:

How'd you like to run up and down that banking?

As precise as this initial layer (drainage) work appears, I’m going to venture to say that each subsequent layer will receive ever higher levels of precision. We hear the drivers talk out of both sides of their mouth concerning the old surface. Some hated the bumpiness while others welcomed racing on it saying the bumpiness gave Daytona uniqueness found nowhere else. Well boys, I’ve found in my life that although most people don’t like change, that is one of the few things that's inevitable. It’s my opinion that this new surface will take the quality of racing to a whole new level.

A job this size requires an on-site asphalt cooker!


As the repaving process continues fans can still tour the Daytona International Speedway, notice the tour trams in the foreground:


So why the estimated $22 million job? (This has been added to satisfy CR) Remember last February's 500? It's all Fox Sports' fault!


There he is! Get 'em!
____________________________________________
January 1st is the completion date at which point 33 acres of new pavement will have been precisely laid out on NASCAR’s premier racing facility. Recently Jamie McMurray and Chip Ganassi unveiled the 2011 Daytona 500 logo.


I can’t wait!

Resources:
http://motorsports.fanhouse.com/2010/07/06/daytona-to-mine-asphalt-for-gold/
http://www.roadracerx.com/breaking-news/daytona-international-speedway-to-repave/
http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2010/july/121009/Waltrip-brothers-help-repave-speedway
http://www.examiner.com/x-9182-Motorsports-Examiner~y2010m5d1-FYI-WIRZ-Earnhardt-Jr-in-No-3-Daytona-over-old-track

13 comments:

  1. note how neither Waltrip is wearing a safety vest despite standing right next to an excavator? I am assuming they will both get fined for that by the Health and Safety people as they should be for that hugely poor effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to seeing pictures of Digger and his crew working on the apron of turn 4. Oh well, thanks for all the other shots. January 1st won't give them much time for tire tests, let alone putting rubber down on the surface. Makes me wonder how Goodyear will do on tire selection. Of course the Grand Am 24 Hours will show us something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was at the controls of that trackhoe... OSHA would have been called in, along with an ambulance! lol

    Interesting stuff. I guess I will have to make a jump down there soon to check it out up close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tez, if I'd have read your comments without knowing which among the Lug Nuts crew had made them, I'd have sworn it was from Mr. Haddock! At least in a couple of shots they have hard hats on (I see media members right beside the Waltrip boys w/o any type of safety gear on)...

    Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't you plunk down a few bucks and make the trip down here to see NASCAR's premier event too? I know, I know, you want to, but... That's me all over again! I'd love to join everybody at one of the western tracks, but...

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CR, I added a little something for ya... Hope that satisfies your need for a Digger shot. LOL

    I remember going to the NHRA Supernationals way back in the day when they held it at the old speedway in Ontario California (long gone now). It was cool and kind of drizzly that Sunday for the finals. Just before the racing got underway a spray helicopter came cruising along only 3-4 feet above the 1/4 mile spray some sort of treatment on the asphalt track. The racing commenced and lo and behold, all of us in attendance were treated to the fastest times every recorded up until that point in NHRA history. We witnessed the first sub-6 second runs. It was really something. After the finals they allowed the fans to come out of the grandstands and walk on the track. Once out on the track, I couldn't believe it. It was like walking on hot, black chewing gum. You had to work to lift your feet and it was all stringy like with chewing gum! What a mess! Needless to say, all the records recorded that day were thrown out...

    The point of the story? That was almost forty years ago. Seems to me in all that time they could come up with some sort of track treatment that could be applied to add grip. It could be used on green tracks and passed off as a safety measure, and thinking about it, that would be an honest appraisal.

    See what happens when someone gets me to thinkin'? lol

    Thanks CR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gene,

    I've had the pleasure of running a lot of different types of heavy equipment when I was farming and let me tell ya, running one of those excavators ranks right up there next to running a D8 Caterpillar. I ran one with a claw on it instead of a bucket and pulled full-grown, 20' tall apple trees up out of the ground. Then you pivot the unit and set the trees in a big pile for burning. With the D8 you just run down the trees with the blade and push them into a pile. The feeling of power is hard to describe.

    What's up with all this OSHA noise? lol

    Sounds like a good trip to Daytona just to go through their regular tours. Hell, plan a trip to coincide with when Petty's driving deal is on. For 135 bucks you can take a 3 lap spin (someone else is driving) around Daytona at around 160 MPH! I'm seriously thinking about it! For less than $400 you can drive the car for a few laps... A little pricey for me, but someone like you (in the chips and all) ought to be able to do that! Talk about cool!

    Have a good one, man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Digger fix... lol

    Interesting black helicopter story. You could probably find a lawyer and make big bucks on a health claim from the NHRA, and the former owners of the track that once was Ontario Motor Speedway! If you do, remember who gave you the idea! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. CR, Thinkin' about it, I've been incapable of coherent thought ever since that day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dwindy, great read! It's quite interesting how the process is done and the cross section of the new track is a good touch. Hopefully Harvick will have "bookend" wins: the 2010 Coke Zero 400 and the 2011 Daytona 500. You guys have a great time at Daytona next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jon, I ran across a couple of stories about Talladega and how much the resurfacing job done there smoothed out the track. The drivers couldn't believe the difference. They said it was like their cars just sucked right down and were held tight as they drove at speed. Daytona's job is being accomplished by the same company that did the work in Alabama.

    Eventually I hope to move back out west but before I go I hope to get to all of the tracks that are within a day's drive of central Florida...

    What's this about Kevin Harvick? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you're saying that I'm as cynical as Gene can be, I'm taking it as a compliment, Dwindy :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great update! I know the drivers liked the old bumpy surface, but I agree that the races on this new pavement is going to be amazing. I'm always excited for the Daytona 500, but I'm more excited going into 2011 than I have been for any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey jmayer!

    I'm wondering if the new surface with change the mix at Daytona... Seems it's one of those tracks where the same drivers always perform well. Is a smooth surface going to change that? Is it that critical? Some drivers have the ability to run faster/better on a rough surface as opposed to a smooth fast surface?

    Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete