Monday, March 28, 2011

Let's Talk Points...

It's a rainy day, nothin' to do, so let's talk points. Shall we? If I don’t miss the mark (and it’s been known to happen)… Here are the top twelve in the old Sprint Cup Chase format standings as of March 28th. 1 Carl Edwards-187, 2 Ryan Newman-178, 3 Kurt Busch -177, 4 Kyle Busch-176, 5 Jimmie Johnson-173, 6 Tony Stewart-170, 7 Paul Menard-164, 8 Juan Montoya-161, 9 Kevin Harvick-157, 10 Matt Kenseth-157, 11 Kasey Kahne-157, 12 Dale Earnhardt Jr.-156. But under the new format, if the Chase started today, these are the twelve who would make it with one caveat… 1 Carl Edwards-187, 2 Ryan Newman-178, 3 Kurt Busch -177, 4 Kyle Busch-176, 5 Jimmie Johnson-173, 6 Tony Stewart-170, 7 Paul Menard-164, 8 Juan Montoya-161, 9 Kevin Harvick-157, 10 Matt Kenseth-157, 11 (16) Jeff Gordon-130, 12 (44) Trevor Bayne-0. This is based on Gordon and Bayne both being race winners. ______________________________________ Now, since Trevor declared as a points racer in the Nationwide Series, I assume he won’t be allowed in the Chase even though he won the Daytona 500. With that as a given, then these are the Chasers if it started after Fontana… 1 Carl Edwards-187, 2 Ryan Newman-178, 3 Kurt Busch -177, 4 Kyle Busch-176, 5 Jimmie Johnson-173, 6 Tony Stewart-170, 7 Paul Menard-164, 8 Juan Montoya-161, 9 Kevin Harvick-157, 10 Matt Kenseth-157, 11 Kasey Kahne-157, (16) Jeff Gordon-130. Kahne gets in on points and Dale Earnhardt Jr. would lose out due to his teammate (Gordon) having a win at Phoenix… Am I right? _____________________________________________________________ What if… Let’s say the Lug Nuts Trifecta used a points basis similar to NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series to determine our winner. (E.G. First place gets 43 points, 42 for second and so on). _____________________________________________________ Here are the Lug Nuts standings after three Trifectas… 1. moseby -124 points based on 1 1st, 1 3rd and 1 4th, 2. Dwindy1 -121 points based on 2 2nds and 1 7th, 3. Hanny -120 points based on 1 1st, 1 3rd and 1 8th, 4. Ra6an -117 points based on 1 2nd, a 6th and a 7th, 5. CR -116 points based on 1 1st, a 4th and an 11th, 6. tez -115 points based on 1 3rd, a 5th and a 9th, 7. jon -114 points based on 2 5ths and an 8th, 8. SB -112 points based on 2 6ths and an 8th, 9. Bev -103 points based on a 9th and 2 10 place finishes, 10. JD and 11. Kristen both missed one Trifecta and would have 77 and 69 points respectively, and then there's: 12. the Stork and 13. F2 who only participated in one Trifecta each with 34 and 32 points respectively. _____________________________________________ I know, I know, ya can’t change horses in the middle of a stream, but it would make the Trifecta a little more interesting… and reward those of us who don't actually win a Trifecta... (Kinda like how Sprint Cup rewards drivers that don't actually win...) :))

16 comments:

  1. this blog has WAY too many numbers for my pea brain to figure out. the way I see it I am in the basement no matter what in the Trifecta so whatever you can do with this new math to help me out Dwindy I am all for it...

    is this racing smarter?? sheesh...I am toast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen!

    Yep, a lot of numbers. I'm sure you can tell I'm trying to make my point about points... LOL

    If we ran the Trifecta like NASCAR runs their racing series (weighted in favor of non-winners) then I'd have a chance of being the season ending winner, but since we only reward winners (as it should be) then I've got to suck it up and go for the win instead of points racing... If NASCAR was run that way can you imagine the racing we'd all have the pleasure to enjoy?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so I did a little number crunching of my own. If NASCAR ran the Cup Series the way we run the Trifecta, then your top 10 would look like this(using the Trifecta tie-breaking formula*):

    1. Kyle Busch
    2. Carl Edwards
    3. Kevin Harvick
    4. Jeff Gordon
    5. Jimmie Johnson
    6. Tony Stewart
    7. David Gilliland
    8. Juan Pablo Montoya
    9. Matt Kenseth
    10(tie). Bobby Labonte, Marcos Ambrose

    *Since NASCAR doesn't have a category for Perfect Scores, I used the stats for 1st through 4th in the races run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, flip Kyle and Carl. Carl would be 1st and Kyle 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey that's neat SB!

    I have to admit I like Kyle in the number one slot better!

    So are ya gonna send it off to King Brian?

    I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dwindy-

    It's much too simple for him to understand. I think that's why the whole NASCAR points system and rule book is so danged convoluted. It gives Brian plausible deniability in the event something goes way off track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So now we're gonna points race in the Trifecta? What's next the Chase? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plausible Deniability... A politician's greatest ally.

    Do ya think Brian is really that smart?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Own up to it Gene... You're a points racer at heart! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep NASCAR racing is fast becoming a numbers cruncher and the drivers are playing the game.

    I would like to see more drivers going for the win rather than playing it safe and getting points for finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. <<<no points racin' here--goin' for the WIN baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. photogr and jon,

    I'm with you guys. Let's go for the gusto!

    Now I want everyone to pick carefully cuz I'm due! Heck I'm way over due! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. we could run it like NASCAR. Instead of blaming Goodyear, we can blame internet providers. Instead of crappy pit stops, we have crappy drivers who sucked when they shouldn't....but SB would have to keep changing the rules on us every so often and bring out 'actions detrimental to trifecta picks' to make us feel like NASCAR, lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good ones tez!

    Maybe the Beagle and Brian should swap places! It would tank our Trifecta, but I'd bet NASCAR would run a lot better...

    ReplyDelete
  15. As much as I would love to switch places with Brian, there's no way in h-e-you know where that I'd let him within a mile of my classroom.

    As for the Trifecta, I can assure everyone that the Trifecta is now- and always will be- about winning(at least as long as I'm in charge).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gee wiz!! Under our Trifecta, Ryan Newman drops from 2nd to oblivian? Don't think I like that!

    ReplyDelete