Friday, February 11, 2011

Three Questions...

First, there have been two drivers in the NASCAR Cup series who won seven championships in their career.

Richard Petty was the first to win seven titles. He won the last when 42 years old and across his racing life he earned the nickname “The King”. Then along came Dale Earnhardt.
By the time Dale had won his seventh championship at 43 years of age he was known across the country as “The Intimidator”. Today we have a current driver who at the age of 35 has won an unprecedented five championships in a row and yet Jimmie Johnson has not been bestowed with a regal nickname. Yes, we know him by the acronym “JJ”, but that simply doesn’t fit the monumental achievement he’s made in this sport. Why do you think this is so? What do you think would be a good nickname for him?


Second, as I see it there are basically four types of racing venues in NASCAR’s Cup series, the short track (1mile around the track or less), the intermediate length track (between 1 and 2 miles), the superspeedways that are longer than 2 miles, and the road course tracks. Now go back in time. Back to the roots of stock car racing, back to the time when small community tracks were commonplace around the country. Most of the older drivers sprang from those tracks and most of the tracks were originally unpaved dirt tracks that required a driving style all their own. Given the sport’s history, why aren’t there any dirt track racing venues in today’s NASCAR Cup series?



Bristol's concrete was once covered with dirt for a race a few years back... Why not?


And third, two Joe Gibbs’ drivers surpassed 203 mph in Friday’s Sprint Cup practices at
Daytona International Speedway while a total of 10 drivers came in at over 200 mph and another group of four finished at 199. From all accounts the track’s new surface is so smooth it’s enhanced the drivers’ ability to “lock up” with another car (stay in close proximity without bouncing into each other) and thus push the envelope to ever increasing speeds. Given NASCAR’s mandate to keep speeds below 200 mph, do you think there will be a last minute change to an even smaller restrictor plate before race day on February 20th?

Now don't be shy... Let me know what you think...


11 comments:

  1. 1. Vadar is good, "stupidjimmiejohnson" is what is used in my house despite my utmost respect but I'd vote for "Chad Knaus"

    2. One question - have you ever watched a dirt race from the first 30 rows? blech no thanks! =)

    3. No, the track will be hotter and slicker for the 500 midday so I don't think they'll be able to hook up for as good or for as long esp since the motors will never take being behind another car like that for 500 miles. Plates will stay the same!

    CANNOT WAIT!!! Woot! 3 days til I fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm after seeing the Shootout I still say the answer to #3 is no but was shocked to see how long those cars could stay hooked up without blowing the motors.

    on another note - WOOOHOOOO!!!!! That dang team had better not have peaked a week before I get there. Gosh darn always just missing VL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.) I hate it, but I think he's earned the right to be called The Champ from here on out.

    2.) Don't you know that NASCAR is too cosmopolitan to associate with those hay shakers at the dirt tracks? There are drivers now in Cup, or on their way, who have never raced on dirt.

    3.) It's hard to predict what NASCAR will do, as they hardly know themselves. I'm left wondering what 20 two car drafts will be like next Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristen! All packed?

    Vadar is good, but not very flattering... I was thinking "The Robot", be for the same reason it won't work... How about Jumpin' Jimmie?

    Both you and photogr have good reasons not to go the dirt track route. It's a good reason to get tickets for the cheap seats!

    I see where NASCAR has made a change to reduce speed but its not to the plate. They've mandated the removal of a certain cooling system hose. The change will influence running temperature forcing it higher thus forcing the drivers to break off from their draft partner. We'll see!

    Thanks Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gene... How's your work goin'?

    You got me laughing about hating to give Jimmie that nick name. I don't like it either. The guy isn't flambouyant... He says all the right things... He doesn't seem to have any long-time enemies... And he's just so consistent. What's that add up to? Blah!
    Blah Boy? LOL

    Man, I've been to small town dirt tracks and the racing is great! I want to see it at the Cup level to force these guys into yet another thought process. I think a big time dirt track would be an excellent change! All it would take would be doing what Bristol did if they wanted to use an existing track on the schedule. I know, I know...

    The 500 won't be a line dance, it'll be a square dance! Grab your partner doe-see-doe! Don't take your foot off the accelerator just ease on and off the brakes...

    They're removing a cooling system hose to force the drivers to be even more conscious off the temperature gauge and making them break their draft sooner. Here's hoping next Sunday's a hot day!

    Sure hope you can break free and make an appearance at Daytona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi photogr!

    Long time no type!

    I guess they could throw in an intermission on dirt track racing and run the water trucks out to try and minimize the dust. I do remember the dust...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW...

    Congratulations to KURT BUSCH! Red and yellow seems to suit you! (Now I'm wondering if Kristen has got her red and yellow gear...)

    Kristen, you're gonna have to fit in ya know?

    I ordered some gear almost two months ago and the hat had to be back-ordered due to overwhelming demand... Guess whose hat it is...

    Hope it gets here next week before I leave.

    Thanks everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got nothin yet Dwindy! I am planning on hitting up the hauler when I get to the track on Thurs...I see our mechanics are wearing red - I am going to try to find their shirt or steal one! LOL

    I've got a few #8 shirts too that I can just duct tape over Jr's name and write in #22...I'll make something happen!

    Hope you get yer #18 hat in time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1 - if Vader keeps it up, I may be tempted to start calling him 'Posty' since the postman always delivers, lol

    2 - I presumed it was that you can't complain about the tyres on a dirt track like you can on a paved one.

    3 - predicting what NASCAR will do is like trying to predict the weather....while playing chess....juggling a set of knives....all while standing in one of those machines that replicate the effects of earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen...

    Red stands for danger and we all know in racing yellow is caution... I'm sure you can dig through your closet and come up with something appropriate! LOL

    Now take two of your number 2 shirts and sew 'em together!

    Nothing yet in the way of my hat... I'll probably end up with two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. tez,

    I like "posty"! Makes sense to me.

    Tyres? LOL

    They're tinkering with the cars but I think the race time temperatures will become a large part of the equation. Will we see several blown engines? We can only wait and see...

    ReplyDelete